Game Talk at the Alternative Lecture Series
I've been asked to give a presentation for the Alternative Lecture Series at the Third Street studios in November (the exact date has not been set but it will be on a Thursday evening at 7 p.m.) Of course I'm going to talk about games as art.
I'm going to give an overview of the current trends in board games, particularly German-style games, but the lecture will focus on the aspects of game design that approach (and perhaps reach) art. In particular, I'll be talking about the magic circle, the invention of new meanings for game components (tokens, cards, etc.), interactivity, emergent play. I'll be drawing on some of the readings and discussions we've been having in class.
Also, I'm hoping to use the lecture to test a prototype of my final project (one of them, at least), and perhaps to play a group game or two.
I'll let everyone know the date when it's decided. Everyone is welcome. There will be food and beer!


<< Home