Hello.
The purpose of this blog is to record and share thoughts and ideas that arise during the class Game Design as Art Practice, taught by Jane McGonigal at the San Francisco Art Institute in Fall 2004. My name is Roger and I am working towards my MFA in the New Genres department. I create installations, performances and events, and work in a wide range of media, including video. My online portfolio is in the process of moving servers; I’ll post a link as soon as it finds a new home.
I’ve been waiting for a class that bridges my art practice with my all-consuming interest in games. Unlike most of the students in the class, I am not much of a video- or computer-game player. I prefer what has come to be called “German-style” board games. They are called that because the most talented and prolific designers are German. Some of the most popular games in this genre (though not necessarily my favorites) are The Settlers of Catan, Carcassonne and Puerto Rico. What characterizes these games are the incredibly well designed mechanics and clever modeling or abstracting of real-world systems. The game components are usually very attractive, and the rules not overly complex.
If you want to learn more about these types of games, check out the German Board Game FAQ or browse the greatest database on earth, Board Game Geek. I’ll be happy to answer any questions or demo any game you might be interested in. And, or course, I’ll always make time to play a game. Just ask. I have hundreds. Literally.
To date, I haven’t found a satisfying way to incorporate elements of games and game design into my art. I am hoping this class will convince me that I don’t need to incorporate, that I can design a game and call it a game. I consider the mechanics of some games beautiful creations and I’m fascinated at how that shape and control human interaction. The creation of “play space” is one area that directly relates to my work. Part of that creation involves making rules, and I am obsessed with game rules. I have binders full of game rules, many for games I don’t even own. Not only do I read rules, I invent rules, translate rules, rewrite rules and interpret rules. I need to harness this energy and focus it toward my studio practice.
I have invented a few games in the past but I’m looking forward to creating something that I feel comfortable placing next to my artwork. I think this could really be fun.
Imperfect Information
Thoughts mostly related to Game Design as Art Practice, a Fall 2004 course taught at the San Francisco Art Institute


<< Home